ZocdocAnswersIf I can't stop coughing, should I go to the hospital?

Question

If I can't stop coughing, should I go to the hospital?

its so bad i cant stop pucking eighther. i have been sick for 3 days and i am conjested and throwing up and coughing what do i do

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I would recommend that you schedule an urgent care visit or see your primary care physician. If your symptoms are very severe and you feel dehydrated, an emergency room visit would also be appropriate. There are several possible explanations for your symptoms. The most common cause of a several-day history of cough and congestion is a viral upper respiratory infection (ie the common cold). This may also be associated with sore throat, and symptoms should resolve within approximately 2 weeks. If you are having long and sudden coughing fits that end in vomiting, this is worrisome for pertussis. It is important to diagnose this infection as it is highly contagious, and antibacterial agents are very effective in eradicating the bacteria. Significant sinus congestion, if associated with fever and facial pain, could be caused by a bacterial sinus infection. Finally, if you have had high fevers, headache, and diffuse muscle aches, influenza should be considered. Again, I would recommend that you receive further evaluation in an urgent care clinic to help differentiate between the above possibilities. A physician can also recommend medications to help control your symptoms until you recover. I hope that you feel better soon!