ZocdocAnswersWhat could be red spot on glans?

Question

What could be red spot on glans?

Hello, about 3 weeks ago I noticed a small red dot on the left side of my glans and since then I've been keeping an eye on it and it seemed to have gotten a bit bigger, maybe half of an eraser on a pencil. It doesn't hurt, I do not have any discharge, it hasn't bled or anything like that, it's kind of just there. I've tried lamasil and tolnafate and they both seem not to do much. It's bright red and oval shaped I'd say. I've been with my girlfriend for 8 years and I'd like to say there isn't a chance of any STD's. I haven't been the most hygienic person lately because of working two jobs and going to the gym. Guess I got lazy. I'm not sure what to do, I get conflicting information everywhere. I never had skin problems elsewhere so I don't know why I would get it now. I'm 25 and in excellent health. I don't smoke or drink and I excerise regularly.

Answer

Thank you for this question. In order to provide an accurate answer, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam, including a genital exam. In addition, you may require further testing, such as STD testing or even a skin biopsy. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to offer a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. There are many potential causes of a red sore on the penis, but it is critical to rule out a sexually transmitted disease. This is important to do regardless of your relationship status. Syphilis classically causes a painless lesion, or chancre. Blood testing can typically rule this out, and treatment usually consists of high dose penicillin therapy. HIV can cause various skin lesions and can be ruled out through a blood test. Other sexually transmitted disease, like herpes, can also cause skin lesions. It is also important to consider primary dermatologic issues. Although rare, skin cancers can develop on the genitals. This could also be an atypical nevus, or mole. It will not be possible to determine the cause without an in-person evaluation, and I strongly encourage you to see a primary care doctor.