ZocdocAnswersCan your exterior jugular vein become swollen and pop out?

Question

Can your exterior jugular vein become swollen and pop out?

Im 16f I have 2 bulges on the back of my neck 1 on the right and 1 on the left the one on the right is bigger then the one on the left but they hurt really bad and I looked up what was in that spot of my neck and it said exterior jugular veins were there so I'm just wonder if they can become swollen.I can't go to a doctor to see the problem so is there away I can tell if that's its? And if it is swollen how did that happen? plz explain. And its happen b4 but it never hurt it just stuck out real far and went away in about a month. I hope this is enough info please help I'm in so much pain

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I'm not sure I quite understand. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. The external jugular veins do cross across the front and lateral sides of your neck, and they can be enlarged on some people. In general, however, they don't hurt or become red/swollen as you are describing. Lymph nodes do tend to run along the same course and blood vessels, and so you could be describing a problem with your lymph nodes, although this is hard to imagine looking like you are describing. It is important to speak with a doctor about these symptoms, because they could represent something very serious. There are free clinics and other places for people to turn if they don't have insurance, and there is usually something that can be done to make sure you get some treatment. The emergency department is also able to treat people without insurance in significant need. Please speak with a doctor about your symptoms so that they can be more fully described and you can get the treatment that you need to feel better quickly. Thank you for this question, and good luck!