ZocdocAnswersMy shoulder keeps popping out of the socket. What should I do?

Question

My shoulder keeps popping out of the socket. What should I do?

I chipped a piece the bone that holds my shoulder in place. now whenever I over extend it pops out of place. I love football bit haven't been able to play for the last 3 year! I want to get it fixed but dont know where to start an how much something like this would cost. Please help so that I could hopefully return to the playing field!

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds like this has significantly impacted your quality of life. It is not possible to make an accurate recommendation on your management without knowing the full details of your medical history and performing a thorough physical exam. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After examining you, they can determine the best course of action. In general, trauma to the shoulder or upper arm can cause the arm to slide out of the shoulder joint, thereby causing dislocation. When this occurs, the muscles and tendons that help hold the arm bone in the shoulder joint can become strained or torn. The cartilage lining the arm bone or the labrum, which is cartilage lining the joint itself, can become torn. Additionally, as happened with you, a piece of bone which creates the shoulder joint can become broken. Even with physical therapy to increase stability of the joint, this bone fracture may lead to long term joint instability and may require surgery to repair it. You will need to see an orthopedic surgeon to determine the best course of action. It will also be important to review any prior imaging studies you have had, as well.