ZocdocAnswersShould I be concerned about the pain just above my hip on the left side of my stomach?

Question

Should I be concerned about the pain just above my hip on the left side of my stomach?

Only thing I know is it's been a few days now that I feel it peeing does not hurt nor let's the pain go it sone times on the right and laying on it feels better

Answer

It sounds like you have been having some troublesome abdominal pain lately. If this is a change in your health, then it is always a good idea to see a physician to discuss further. Identifying what this could be will require an evaluation of your medical history, your medications, and of course a thorough physical exam. If you do not have any warning signs--severe pain, blood in your urine, dizziness, high fevers--then it is likely okay for you to avoid going to the emergency room to start, although this is always an option if you were to develop any concerning symptoms along the way. The best place to start is likely with your primary care physician who can put your history and physical examination together to try and suggest a way to further evaluate this issue. Depending upon the exam findings, your doctor may want to order some basic lab work to check your blood counts and kidney function. A urinalysis and urine culture are also likely in order. If you are a reproductive age woman, then it may well be important to consider the ovaries as a source of this pain (ovarian cyst, ovarian torsion, ovulation, abscess), and a pelvic exam may be necessary. Hopefully you will be feeling better in no time!