ZocdocAnswersAfter I had my fourth baby I have no sensation during sex. What can I do?

Question

After I had my fourth baby I have no sensation during sex. What can I do?

I'm a 27 years old female. I do want to be intimate but i have not sensation during intercourse.

Answer

Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your problem. Some decreased sensation can be a common complaint after giving birth due to trauma and disruption of the normal nerves that supply innervation to the region. Fortunately, in most cases, the sensation will return and most people will not suffer serious and lifelong changes. The best key to understanding what your prognosis is with regards to sensation is to know how long it has been since you gave birth and had this loss of feeling. If it has been very recently, then you need to speak with your doctor about this problem to see if there is anything that he or she would have you do in the short term. It is also perhaps more likely that sensation will return if it has only been absent for a short time. If, on the other hand, it has been years since you first noted this symptom, then the prognosis for normal sensation is more guarded and you may need to work further with a specialist to help optimize your results and expectations. Your OB is a good place to start on your quest for answers, so please speak with your doctor.