Could there be a correlation between hand crush injury and increase in migraines?

I had a crush injury to my pinky almost 3 months ago. No fractures or breaking of skin. Movement causes extensive amount of pain. Since the injury itself, the migraines I typically had once every 2-3 months now occur every other or every third day. Is there any possible correlation between the crush injury and the increase in migraines? Could I possibly have nerve damage that has not been discovered as of yet that could be causing this increase in the frequency of migraines?
That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a doctor specializing in headaches and neuropathic pain such as a neurologist. It is difficult to know what connection your pinky injury and your migraines have, but depending on the type of migraine you have, it may be that the constant pain from your pinky injury is what is causing you to develop stress or anxiety which may be a trigger for the migraines. For that reason, there isn't a direct connection between the two, but rather the connection is the pain and anxiety and stress from the pinky injury is causing the migraines to worsen. Of course, there may be another cause for why your migraines are increasing in frequency and they may not be at all associated with the pinky injury, and for this reason, it is recommended that you are evaluated in a timely manner by a neurologist or headache doctor who can help you treat these headaches with a better regimen of medications. Of course, you may consider a primary care doctor to be evaluated for why you are still having this pinky related pain because it is not common to have this much pain otherwise.

• Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723