ZocdocAnswersHow can I cure geographic tongue (lingua geografica)?

Question

How can I cure geographic tongue (lingua geografica)?

I have geographic tongue and constantly bad breath and I am searching a cure for both of them.Please help.

Answer

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you speak with your ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngologist). Both of these conditions are quite common, and, generally speaking, both can be difficult to treat in some individuals. The first, geographic tongue, is a benign condition that is therefore not treated in most patients. Not too much is known about the condition, although there have been many reports of an association with numerous other maladies, most of which are now not thought to be associated. As a benign condition with generally no side effects, most physicians prefer to monitor patients instead of treating them with medications that might or might not work and will likely have other side effects. As far as associations with bad breath, there is a plausible explanation that some of the pits and fissures that are sometimes present in geographic tongue could be holding bacteria that can cause bad breath. In general, the usual things as far as oral hygiene are the best first steps to take with regards to bad breath. Teeth brushing, flossing, mouth rinses are all appropriate first steps. After that, it is good to know if your bad breath is noticed by other people. If you have questions about these things, please speak with your ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA otolaryngologist).