ZocdocAnswersI took a Zantax 3 pill around 2:30 this afternoon, will I be OK to drink alcohol at 11 tonight?

Question

I took a Zantax 3 pill around 2:30 this afternoon, will I be OK to drink alcohol at 11 tonight?

I don't know if mixing the two will cause negative side effects.

Answer

Zantac, or rantidine (its generic name), is a medication that is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease, also called "heartburn," as well as stomach and intestinal ulcers. In order to review your specific case and to answer all of the questions you might have about this medication, it is important that you schedule an appointment to speak with your doctor. Having said that, Zantac works in the stomach by blocking a cellular receptor in the lining of the stomach wall called the histamine H2 receptor. This receptor is located on parietal cells of the stomach wall, and these cells are what produce acid in the stomach, which can lead to reflux and the sensation of heart burn. By blocking these receptors, Zantac decreases the production of acid by these cells and thus decreases the amount of acid that refluxes into the esophagus and also promotes healing of ulcers in the GI tract that would be irritated by an acidic environment. Although alcohol can make reflux worse and can aggravate ulcers, there is no known drug interaction between Zantac and alcohol, meaning that it is generally safe for you to take them together. However, in order to review your particular circumstances and any concerns you have about any of the medications you are taking and how they interact with alcohol, it is important that you schedule an appointment to speak with your primary care doctor.