Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I'm getting a throbbing pain under my tongue and under my chin. Does it have anything to do with my piercing?"

ZocdocAnswersI'm getting a throbbing pain under my tongue and under my chin. Does it have anything to do with my piercing?


I'm getting somewhat of a throbbing pain under my tounge and under my chin! it hurts! It kinda affects my breathing i feel like im kinda out of breath? I dont feel it when im doing my buisness about the day but when i lay down ,i tend to feel it and it sucks ! I have my tounge peirced and its where the ball of the peircing is, I couldnt have my tounge done in the original place because my vein's touched soo I had to get it done a little more up towards the tip of my tounge , does it have any thing to do w/that??


I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with a pain/throbbing in your tongue and under your chin that you are worried may be related to your tongue piercing. I will give you some of my initial thoughts about what might be going on, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. This is because they will be able to ask you more questions (i.e. take a history) and examine you to give you the most accurate opinion about what is actually going on. My first concern with what you have told me is that you could have an infection that has started at the site of your tongue piercing. This would give pain, throbbing, redness, and could even have some purulence (pus) that drains from it. The concerning thing about an infection in your tongue, is that it is possible for the infection to spread into the floor of your mouth. Once it is in the floor of your mouth it can get trapped and form a fluid collection that pushes your tongue posteriorly (called ludwig's angina) and can cut off your airway. This is obviously a medical emergency, and if you have any swelling under your tongue, difficulty with speech, or difficulty breathing, then I recommend that you go to the closest emergency department to be evaluated.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.