ZocdocAnswersPain in chest, and from time to time I'll get pain like a jolt of electricity in my left arm. Should I go back to the doctor?

Question

Pain in chest, and from time to time I'll get pain like a jolt of electricity in my left arm. Should I go back to the doctor?

I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and they said the pain in my chest was nothing. But since then I've been getting pains everywhere, but from time to time I'll get pain like a jolt of electricity in my left arm, should I go back to the doctors??

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another doctor specializing in urgent care such as an emergency doctor. It is very difficult to know the cause of these symptoms you are describing because of the limited history you have provided (it is unclear what your age, gender, or medical comorbidities are) and so the best person to evaluate you and diagnose and treat the problem is a doctor who can perform a history and physical examination upon you. There are several possibilities for these symptoms though, with the most concerning being the possibility of an acute coronary event such as a heart attack, and based upon the symptoms you are describing, you should see your doctor for this to rule it in or out and have the appropriate treatment if needed. If this isn't the case, other causes of electricity type pain down an extremity could be related to your spine, especially in your neck, and pressure on the spinal cord in this region. This sometimes worsens with movements of the neck, and is also something that should be evaluated urgently as it is a sign of spinal cord injury.