ZocdocAnswersWhat happens if I have chlamydia and I took one tablet of a 500mg Azithromcyn about an hour apart?

Question

What happens if I have chlamydia and I took one tablet of a 500mg Azithromcyn about an hour apart?

Will it still work to cure my chalamydia if it was a one dose med?

Answer

Anytime you experience symptoms of that could be consistent with an STD, you should all schedule an appointment your primary care physician. It sounds like you're being treated for chlamydia infection with a single dose of Azithromycin. This is a very common method for treating chlamydia and is quite effective. Azithromycin is a long-acting antibiotic and usually stays in the body's system for a few days. For this reason, the fact that you took both of your 500 mg pills one hour apart, will unlikely have any affect on the efficacy of chlamydia treatment. In addition to being treated for chlamydia, most physicians simultaneously will treat patients for gonorrhea using a single dose of Ceftriaxone given as a shot. I do this routinely as chlamydia and gonorrhea infections typically come together. If you were tested for these infections and gonorrhea came back negative, then it is probably okay to forgo this treatment. If you have not undergone testing, and your doctor is simply treating your symptoms under the assumption that it's chlamydia, then you should return for treatment for gonorrhea. Anytime you experience symptoms of that could be consistent with an STD, you should all schedule an appointment your primary care physician. A quick examination and testing can prevent spreading of these infections. In addition, your doctor can provide you with recommendations on what to do about recently exposed partners. They should be treated too.