ZocdocAnswersWhy am I still constipated?

Question

Why am I still constipated?

I had an xray because I was having lower right pains and constipation and they said I had a large amount of stool in there but then I went to the bathroom like 5 times in 3 days and went back for another xray and still said I had lots of stool in there... why isn't it going away? and will this cause appendicitis or could it be acute appendicitis?

Answer

For this problem I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. To answer your last question first, I doubt that your constipation is caused by acute appendicitis. These two problems are not really related. It appears that you're constipated and judging from your question I can't quite tell why that is. Constipation can occur for a variety of different reasons. One of the most common causes of constipation is the use of narcotic pain medications which slow down the bowel and prevents movement of stool to the anus. Another common cause of constipation is irritable bowel syndrome. This is a common cause of abdominal pain that is not greatly understood but is very common. In any case, constipation is treated by the use of stool softeners and G.I. stimulants. The most common medications prescribed are Colace and Senna. Colace is a stool softener and Senna is a mild stimulant. These medications are well-tolerated and can be purchased over-the-counter. If taken as prescribed, they usually help people have a normal bowel movement within a couple of days. If these don't work, then I usually prescribe something a little bit stronger such as MiraLAX. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. If the cause of your constipation is not known, then your doctor might refer you to a gastroenterologist.