ZocdocAnswersI have a raised red itchy bump, what could it be?

Question

I have a raised red itchy bump, what could it be?

It's not bed bugs, I checked, but more for about the bump, its about the size of a quarter, there is another on my thigh and another below the one on my arm, both smaller ad not itchy. I don't have any pests, or noticeable ones in the apartment. This is the second time this has happened, just started the end of October, its now November eighth. I woke up tonight and noticed my arm was itchy and found the bump. I know its too late in Michigan for mosquitoes, and there aren't any visible puncture wounds on or around it. i almost feel like this happened in the same place on my arm as last time, I don't know if that's just coincidence or relevant, just thought I would add it. Its round, raised, looks like a bad mosquito bite, but like I said, its cold and November, it would be strange if this was a mosquito.

Answer

This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. Depending on what your doctor discovers during your appointment, he or she may decide to take a small biopsy of one of the bumps or refer you to a dermatologist. Red itchy bumps can be caused by many things, one of which is bites, like you mentioned. I agree that mosquitos are unlikely given the weather, however, spider bites can cause large red itchy bumps. Another possibility is an allergic reaction to something that your skin is being exposed to in those areas. Hives, or urticaria, are large red welts that usually come and go on different parts of your body and can be caused by allergies, exposure to cold, and sometimes stress. If the bump feels hot or you develop a fever you need to make sure you do not have an abscess, a pocket of infection under the skin, that would need to be incised and drained. Again, it is very important to seek medical care as soon as possible to get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.