ZocdocAnswersI have pains near my ovaries, it's swollen and I feel bloating and nausea with very tender breast. What could be happening?

Question

I have pains near my ovaries, it's swollen and I feel bloating and nausea with very tender breast. What could be happening?

I have pains near my ovaries, it's swollen i have bloating and nausea with very tender breast. i have a backache as well ankles were swollen yesterday and i am very tired what could this be

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. I suggest you make an appointment with your primary care physician, gynecologist, or local health care center. I am sorry that you are experiencing such pain. Depending on your age, past medical history, family history, and other risk factors, there are a variety of potential explanations for the symptoms you are experiencing. Pain in the lower quadrants of your abdomen may be related, as you mentioned, to your ovaries. This may be due to your menstrual cycle as it is often associated with breast tenderness and swelling. However, one must also consider other potential diagnoses such as an ovarian cyst, ovarian torsion (a surgical emergency wherein the ovary twists about its blood supply), tuboovarian abscess (an infection of the ovary). Non-gynecologic reasons for pain could also include appendicitis or diverticulitis (an inflammation of outpouchings of your colon). Breast tenderness could also be a separate issue secondary to a breast abscess (an infection in your breast) or potentially even a breast mass. Your doctor would be able to help you differentiate these potential different causes. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a doctor or other qualified health professional. Again, I suggest you make an appointment with your primary care physician, gynecologist, or local health care center for an evaluation to receive a diagnosis and potential management plan.