ZocdocAnswersWhen will a spinal tuberculosis patient with pott's paraplegia start walking?

Question

When will a spinal tuberculosis patient with pott's paraplegia start walking?

she has a vertebral surgery about 3 weeks ago.after surgery with in a week start moving legs and fingers but after 2 weeks movement became slow.fingers are still not moving.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about this patient's illness. Pott's disease is a severe illness, and there are many different factors that can affect neurologic recovery after spinal cord damage and surgery. I strongly encourage you to discuss your concerns with the neurosurgeon who performed the surgery, as it is not possible to provide an accurate answer without performing a history and physical exam and reviewing the entire medical record. Pott's disease refers to a tuberculosis infection of the vertebral body of the spine. Due to the close proximity of the spine and spinal cord itself, damage to the nerves within the spinal cord can occur. This is a neurologic emergency and often requires surgical intervention, as in this case. The damage often occurs from inflammation and potentially direct invasion of the spinal cord by the organism. The extent and time course of recovery will depend on the degree of damage seen on imaging as well as the severity of neurologic deficits on physical exam. In general, neurologic recovery occurs over many weeks and months, and the pace of recovery can be different for every patient. I encourage you to discuss the details of this case with a neurosurgeon.