ZocdocAnswersIs it safe for women to masturbate? Does it affect the organs?

Question

Is it safe for women to masturbate? Does it affect the organs?

I was bought up christian. I was raped when I was 7 and started touching myself when I was 10. I have no idea if masterbating is cooralated with being raped, because I always use to do it because it felt good, and now, being 26 I think about whoever i'm dating or am attracted to. Anyways, the fact is I feel I'm going to do the act whenever I'm feeling some tension down there because my significant other can't get off with me. So, my question is, Is it bad for women to do? When is it too much? I mean I do it once a week or once a month, however when I started to menstrate at 11 I did it almost everyday. Was that too much? How does it effect my organs?

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding masturbation, or self stimulation for sexual pleasure or arousal. I recommend that you discuss your concern with your doctor. Rest assured that masturbation is viewed by the medical community as a normal, and healthy, part of your sexual health. Often, people begin masturbating in childhood. This act is a part of normal self exploration as children start to become curious about their own bodies, and can continue into adulthood. Depending on the study, it is estimated that 70-95% of men and 50-89% of women masturbate. Masturbation is a good way to avoid contracting sexually transmitted diseases or unwanted pregnancy. However, it can also strengthen sexual relationships for those who have partners. By exploring one's own body, you can share with your partner what is pleasurable and thereby increase intimacy and pleasure. Masturbation is in no way harmful to your body or health. There is also no right or wrong answer pertaining to how much masturbation is appropriate. Some people may masturbate everyday, others only occasionally to relieve built up tension or to help them sleep. It is only a problem if you are masturbating so often that it starts to interfere with your work or other daily obligations. If you still have concerns about masturbation, please see your doctor for further guidance.