Is Whey Protein needed for teenager?

I have a 15 yr old son that is 5ft 11in and about 150pds. He is "working out" at a gym and his trainer is suggesting to him that he start taking whey protein. Is this needed for him? Is it a good idea for him to start? My son enjoys exercising but is not the biggest eater and is not the most healthy of foods. What do you think?
Thank you for this interesting question. In your son's case, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a pediatrician. In order to provide safe recommendations for your son, a pediatrician would need to fully review his medical history as well as perform a physical exam. Based on this visit, he may then need to see a nutrition to determine if he is consuming enough protein as part of his normal diet. Protein is a critical substance for the body's ability to heal and grow and is especially for someone who is weight training. Whenever considering any sort of dietary supplement, the general recommendation is for an individual to first address the nutritional need by consuming a healthy, balanced diet. Your son should have a pediatrician review his diet to determine if there are certain food groups that are absent and need to be addressed. Additionally, supplements such as protein supplements are not regulated by the FDA like medications. There have been studies showing that many products do not contain the substances they claim. Additionally, there have been cases of certain supplements causing severe illness, even death. Due to these concerns, I strongly encourage your son see a pediatrician to determine the healthiest way for him to supplement his diet.

Other Pediatricians