ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having runny, mucous, painful poo?

Question

Why am I having runny, mucous, painful poo?

My faeces has been sloppy, mucousy, urgent and painful afterwards. There is almost always a little blood on the toilet paper. It has been happening for months now what could be wrong? Male, aged 16. Excercise regulary and eat healthily

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. You should set up an appointment with your primary care physician for a proper workup and evaluation, but here are some possible causes. The combination of symptoms you describe raises the suspicion of inflammatory bowel disease, chronic conditions that often present between age 15 to 30 years. There are two types-- Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Crohn's disease usually involves abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and bloating. The stools are mucus-containing but grossly non-bloody. Ulcerative colitis, on the other hand, causes grossly bloody diarrhea, urgency, and lower abdominal cramps. Both of these conditions can be diagnosed with endoscopy and managed with a variety of immune-suppressing medications. Other possible causes of your symptoms include infectious diarrhea, especially if you have had fever and a recent travel history. Several stool studies could be useful to see if this is the case. If your symptoms have been ongoing for more than four weeks, other causes of chronic diarrhea (besides inflammatory bowel disease) should be considered, including Celiac disease, lactose intolerance, and irritable bowel syndrome. Again, I would strongly recommend that you meet with a primary care physician soon, as a referral to a gastroenterologist may be appropriate.