ZocdocAnswersWhat are these lumps coming out of my bottom?

Question

What are these lumps coming out of my bottom?

I thought they were haemorrhoids but I have had them for years, they feel/look like haemorrhoids

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding anal lesions. It is difficult to hypothesize the source of the lumps in your bottom without a proper physical examination. I encourage you to visit your doctor who can visually inspect the area and help make the diagnosis. Hemorrhoids could certainly be the cause of your symptoms. Hemorrhoids are normal veins that exist in the rectum but can become a problem when they get swollen, itchy, and painful. They can cause rectal bleeding ranging from a small amount of blood only on the toilet paper when wiping, to bleeding that coats the stool. There are both internal and external hemorrhoids. Internal hemorrhoids you can't see and typically don't cause pain, while external hemorrhoids can be visible and usually cause pain. The best thing to do to prevent hemorrhoids is to make sure that you are not constipated, by eating lots of fiber in the form of fruits and vegetables, or fiber supplements and stool softeners if needed. That being said, there can be other causes for anal lesions. If you are sexually active and engaging in anal sex, genital warts are a possibility. Genital warts are caused by the human papilloma virus and can look like bumps the color of your flesh or may be cauliflower-like in appearance. It is therefore important for you to visit your doctor who can help you better understand the cause of these lumps.