ZocdocAnswersI am pregnant, is it ok to fly in a couple days?

Question

I am pregnant, is it ok to fly in a couple days?

I'm 14 weeks pregnant have been spotting on and off had an u/a everything is fine baby has a healthy heart beat of 159. Is it ok to fly in a couple days?

Answer

Thanks for your question. While many people will assume that it is safe to travel before the last trimester, it is always a good idea to check in with your doctor before you travel. This is because there are many different variables that go into answering this question. First, are you going somewhere that will be safe for you to travel? Next, will the diet or other exposures place you or the baby at undue or unexpected risks, such as a place with endemic illness that may not be appropriate during pregnancy. After that, it is important to make sure that where you are going there would be resources available to help you should any sort of medical emergency arise, ie, are you traveling to a 3rd world country from a more developed country, or are you just visiting friends and family back home. Finally, is there any specific health concerns for you or the baby? All of these are some of the questions that your doctor will be able to answer, and will be able to provide some input. Most often, travel during the early stages of pregnancy is not problematic provided you exercise judgement, but there may be some exceptions. Please speak with your doctor.