Why is my nose ejecting mucus down the back of my throat?

My nose keeps getting congested and when I swallow, its hard because of the mucus. Is it causing my headaches and sore throat? How can I get better?
I am sorry to hear that you have been dealing with nasal congestion and mucous going down the back of your throat (also referred to as post nasal drip) and that you want to know how you can get better. I am happy to give you some of my initial thoughts, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician (aka otolaryngologist) to get evaluated. They will be able to take more of a medical history and examine you which I am unable to do in this setting. If post-nasal drip is in fact giving you the symptoms that you are experiencing, then the ENT will evaluate you for allergies, or any history of rhinosinusitis. It is possible that you have an environmental, or seasonal, allergy that is causing nasal inflammation and excessive mucous production which could give you the symptoms of post nasal drip. However, there are other processes, such as laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (also referred to as 'silent reflux'), that can mimic the symptoms of allergic rhinitis with post-nasal drip. The ENT will be able to scope you in clinic and determine if the symptoms you are having are from post-nasal drip, or in fact LPRD (or something else for that matter). I wish you all the best.

• Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Adrian Varela
    Dr. Adrian Varela MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10330 SE 32nd Ave
    Milwaukie, OR 97222
  • Dr. Howard Baim
    Dr. Howard Baim MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2532 N. Lincoln Ave
    Chicago, IL 60614