Why is my enamel breaking down?

Why is my enamel on my teeth breaking down? My mom believes its because I eat a lot of lemons and limes. Is there any way to fix it?
Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak with your dentist about your concern. Yes, eating too much food with too much acid can play a part in breaking down the outer part and protection of your teeth. Enamel is subject to many different forces and mechanics, each of which it can generally withstand quite well. With regards to the changes that some acids create, however, it is true that the different pH over time can lead to poor dentition. In fact, that is part of the same way that some of the bacteria in your mouth cause destruction of your teeth and cavities, as the acid content that is created by some of these bacteria can cause a slow destruction. The best thing to do is to make sure that you have excellent oral hygiene. Brushing at least twice a day is a good place to start, and flossing at least daily is also important. Beyond that, it is vital that you have regular checkups with your dentist to make sure that you stay on top of these problems rather than getting behind. A bit of prevention now can spare you some heavy dental work in the future. Again, please speak with your dentist about your concerns, and follow his or her suggestions.

Other Dentists