Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have sharp knee pain. Did I dislocate it and never realize or have a torn something?"

ZocdocAnswersI have sharp knee pain. Did I dislocate it and never realize or have a torn something?


I've had a problem the last few months with horrible knee pain. It started at work, in a mild form. I work in a warehouse and thought I have just twisted my knee when I slipped and stumbled on a palet, but it won't go away. It seemed to be in the dimple of my knee, right under or near the kneecap. If I'm not on my feet it doesn't bother me and for a while it doesn't hurt. The minute I get active and am on my feet the pain become progressively worse. I've bought a knee brace with metal stays in it and this seems to help a bit, but I'm tired of having this pain and having my movements limited by it. It's a sharp stabbing pain that comes when I walk. Did I dislocate it and never realize or have a torn something?


I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like it is significantly impacting your life. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, a physician would need to review the full details of your medical history and also perform a detailed physical exam. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to make recommendations regarding possible diagnosis and treatment options. There are many structures in the knee that can cause pain like yours. When you twisted your knee, you may have injured one of the ligaments that stabilize the joint. These include the ACL, MCL, and PCL. A twisting knee injury can also cause a tear of the meniscus, which is a piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. Damage to this occasionally requires surgery to improve the pain. There are several bursa, or fluid filled sacs, within the knee joint that provide cushioning. Bursitis occurs when one of these bursa becomes inflamed, which can lead to joint pain. You may have developed tendonitis in one of the tendons that controls the knee joint, which can cause pain. I strongly encourage you to see an orthopedic surgeon to discuss these concerns.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.