ZocdocAnswersI am experiencing ear ringing, loss of hearing in one ear and dizziness. What is wrong with me?

Question

I am experiencing ear ringing, loss of hearing in one ear and dizziness. What is wrong with me?

Went to a medical clinic a week ago to have my ears checked and they appeared normal. Nothing was prescribed. Still having issue with one ear.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that would best be answered by your primary care doctor or a neurologist or an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist who would be able to take a history and physical examination and get the best understanding of the cause of these symptoms you are having. From the history you provided, it is unclear your age, gender, or other medical problems so it is difficult to know the cause of these symptoms. On the other hand, these symptoms sound like they could be due to Meniere's disease. This is an inner ear disorder that causes vertigo (sensation of the room spinning or dizziness), tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and sometimes a sensation of fullness or pressure. It is considered a chronic problem but there are many effective treatments to control the symptoms. Another possible cause of your symptoms may be a benign brain tumor known as an acoustic schwannoma which might cause the types of symptoms that you are describing. Again, even though you were evaluated a week ago, it is very important that you follow up as you are still suffering from your symptoms so you need a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.