ZocdocAnswersMy stomach hurts so bad, why?

Question

My stomach hurts so bad, why?

It started in the lower left part of my abdomen a week or so ago but now it has moved to being the whole lower part of my abdomen now it is back to being on the left side again. Both of my kidneys seem to hurt, worse time than others. Sometimes it hurts worse after eating or drinking something. It constantly feels like someone is squeezing my insides. From my stomach down & around where my kidneys are is this intense pressure feeling. I cant get comfortable & at times the pain feels like weird cramps I've never experienced. I also feel more tired than others. I also noticed that my urine smelled funny for about a day & a half but that did seems to clear up but my urine was really dark & that seems to be ok now .My bowel movements have seemed fine so far until the second today when i thought i had to go & couldn't. I don't know what is wrong but its driving me crazy & i cant take it anymore, please help me.

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is one of the most difficult symptoms for physicians to diagnose, simply because there are a vast number of possible causes that could account for the pain. That is why it is important for you to visit your doctor, who can perform a physical exam, run tests if need be, and better pinpoint the cause of your symptoms. I will discuss a few potential sources of abdominal pain that your doctor will consider in his or her assessment of you. Kidney stones can be a cause for excruciating pain that doctors describe as "colicky", meaning it can come and go in waves. Kidney stones can be associated with lower abdominal, lower back, groin, and flank pain (sides of our bodies between the ribs and hip). Sometimes you may see blood or pus in the urine or have painful urination. Often, kidney stones pass on their own with the help of pain medication and hydration. Bigger stones may require intervention such as surgery or procedures to break up the stone. Another cause for similar symptoms could be an infection. The bacteria that causes urinary tract infections can sometimes travel upwards from the bladder and enter into the kidneys, a condition known as pyelonephritis. With pyelonephritis, you can also have abdominal and back pain, painful urination, tenderness in the back between the ribs and kidneys, fever, chills, and urinary tract infection symptoms. Finally, abdominal pain after eating or drinking can be due to ulcers in the stomach. These are just a few of the many possibilities that you should discuss with your primary care physician.