Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"There is a white "mucussy" substance coming from my vagina. Could this be a yeast infection?"

ZocdocAnswersThere is a white "mucussy" substance coming from my vagina. Could this be a yeast infection?


There is no pain, or irritation such as itching or burning, but it does have an unpleasant smell.


In general, most women will have some amount of vaginal discharge, but I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor. This will vary from person to person and across your menstrual cycle, often ranging from minimal and sometimes clear discharge to more opaque and copious discharge. If you are young and just going through puberty, this is likely your normal vaginal discharge. If you have already been through puberty and this represents a change in your normal discharge, there are a couple possibilities. Yeast infections can cause a change in your vaginal discharge, often making it thicker and more 'curd-like', but it more often causes irritative symptoms including itching, redness and pain rather than changes in vaginal discharge. Another kind of infection called bacterial vaginosis (BV) will cause discharge to become more copious, and potential kind of thin, gray, and foul-smelling (often described as a kind of fishy odor), without causing as many irritative symptoms. Trichomonis can also cause changes in vaginal discharge along with some irritative symptoms. Beyond these infections, changes in discharge can be due to pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhea or chlamydia, changes in hormonal contraception, antibiotics or other medication changes. Because there is such a wide range of possibilities I would strongly urge you to go see your primary doctor, who can do a pelvic exam and examine the discharge under the microscope for some of these infections. You should also make sure you are getting regular pap smears to protect against cervical cancer.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.