ZocdocAnswersWill peroxide help to get water and wax out of my ear?

Question

Will peroxide help to get water and wax out of my ear?

Feel like my equilibrium is off due to water trapped in my ear

Answer

Yes, half strength hydrogen peroxide mixed with water can sometimes help to get wax out of your ear. It is one of the suggestions that your ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist head and neck surgeon) may make to you if you have problems with wax in your ear. Alternatively, there are other products that can also be helpful, some of which are available over the counter. Further home remedies include rubbing alcohol mixed half strength with water, and even a few drops of sweet oil into the ear a couple of times each week. Each of these home remedies can be valuable to help clean out your ear when used in the right context, and each of these will usually be more appropriate than using cotton tipped applicators (Q tips) in your ears. While all of these are some ideas that a doctor may give you to clean out your ears, it is important to note that not each of these drops or suggestions are appropriate for all patients. In some cases, these could actually cause more problems. Before starting any such therapy, you should speak with your doctor, especially since you are also have disequilibrium that could be a sign of something more than just wax. Again, please speak with your doctor.