ZocdocAnswersIf I am taking a detox diet, can it cause a pregnancy test to be negative?

Question

If I am taking a detox diet, can it cause a pregnancy test to be negative?

Late on period 8days not normal been taking detox diet got negative result also had a tubal ligation 8 yrs ago clamped

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your concerns. Tubal ligation is one of the most effective types of birth control, especially given that you have successfully avoided pregnancy over the last 8 years. While pregnancy still could be an explanation of why your period is late, there are other things that could be more likely. So it is important to speak with your doctor. For example, extreme diets can cause variations in your menstrual cycle due to the severe changes and restrictions in calories. This would be considered a type of amenorrhea, and can happen to those on restricted diets or undergoing very intense exercise. This is a way that the female body can conserve energy at times when a pregnancy would not likely be successful or would endanger the woman overall. There are also many other possibilities, depending on your age, and so it is important to discuss these changes in your cycle with your doctor to make sure that all is well. He or she will be able to reassure you with regards to your questions, and will hopefully be able to answer all of them in a satisfactory manner. Please speak with your doctor.