Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should I be too concerned about minor hip pain while running/jogging?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I be too concerned about minor hip pain while running/jogging?


I started a new job about 4-5 months ago in which I'm sitting during the entire shift. usually its no more then 9-11 hours a day, 3-5 times a week. I do get up occasionally and try to sit up straight when I remember to. However recently I've started getting minor hip pain while running or jogging at the gym. I've been going to the gym for quite some time now and this has just started happening the last week. I'm fine when I start my run but about 10 minutes or so in is when the pain starts building up slowly, its not unbearable but I does get to a point where I need to stop running. I'm worried that this is going to be a long term issue that will interfere with my runs.


That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or other medical provider. Based upon the limited history and physical provided, it is not possible to elucidate the exact cause of this hip pain that you are describing as there is no mention of your age, gender, other medical comorbidities or any other associated conditions, but this is another reason that it is best that you are evaluated by a medical professional as he or she can obtain this information and give you a better idea of the cause of this hip pain. In general terms, one of the most common reasons for hip pain in runners is IT band issues which can usually be alleviated by an adequate stretching routine prior to going for runs. If this is indeed the problem, your doctor may prescribe some stretching options that help you stretch out the IT band prior to running to minimize the pain that you encounter. You may also consider using ice or heat packs, NSAIDs, and compression to the affected area to help with the symptoms as these may also help with the symptoms you are having.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.