ZocdocAnswersWhy does my chin wrinkle up when I close my mouth?

Question

Why does my chin wrinkle up when I close my mouth?

(only time it is not wrinkled is when I let my mouth hang open at it "natural" state). 21 years old, had since high school, perhaps the muscles under the skin, no acne, skin bunches up and has lots of dips, uneven, wrinkle like appearance. Very unattractive, it is a strain to keep mouth closed (I have to be contently aware that I am keeping it closed).

Answer

This is an interesting question. There are several muscles that are involved in the shape of the face at the chin, in the area that you describe. The bone, muscles, and fat in the face all play a role in the shape of the face, and so what you describe could have to do with changes to any of these. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. It seems like you are describing the crease between your lips and your chin, with the line between the two known as the labiomental crease. People can have changes in this area for a number of reasons. Sometimes, people can have dimpling of the chin in this area, due to attachments of muscles to the underlying skin. Other times, marionette lines can form from the corners of the mouth down to the chin. These are two of the common things that people describe, although the dimpling may be more consistent with what you are describing. Fortunately, there are a number of things that can be done to help with what you are worried about. Often some injectables will be able to provide short term benefit, but will not be permanent. There may be other things that can help too. Please speak with your doctor.