ZocdocAnswersMy breasts have grown 2 cup sizes in 4 months is this normal?

Question

My breasts have grown 2 cup sizes in 4 months is this normal?

I am 18 years old and my breasts have gone from a 32 D to a 32DDD in four months. Is this normal? I have gone from weighing 105 to 108, my habits have not changed. And I know I am not pregnant because I have never had sex. My mother is a 36 C and that was after 3 kids. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

Answer

Breast size increases for a variety of different reasons. At your age, I should say that it is a little bit unusual for your breasts to continue to enlarge in that short amount of time so it is important to schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. Usually when someone your age reports an increase in breast size, it is because they have started taking some sort of hormonal birth control. If you have recently started taking the pill for birth control, or another type of hormonal birth control such as the ring or the patch, this is the most likely cause of the increase in your breast size. Pregnancy is another cause of increase breast size, but in your case this seems to not be possible. In any case, it is likely not indicative of a major problem whatever the cause and is, and probably not much to worry about unless the size of your breasts have started to cause you back problems. However, I think that this problem warrants a consultation with your primary care doctor. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment today so that the two of you can talk about what's been going on. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to have a breast exam just to make sure there is nothing else abnormal. Good luck.