ZocdocAnswersIs there something wrong with me if I have to have a lot of salt on my foods?

Question

Is there something wrong with me if I have to have a lot of salt on my foods?

Every time I eat something I have to have salt on it, and even if I put a lot on it, If I can not taste the salt, I have to put more and more until I can actually taste it. Why is that??

Answer

Thanks for your question. The short answer is that there could be something wrong with your sense of taste or smell if you feel that your foods do not have sufficient flavor. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. The sense of taste and smell are very closely linked, and problems with one can readily be interpreted as problems with the other. Often, the depth of a flavor is enhanced by the sense of smell as well. There are many things that can cause anosmia or hyposmia (the loss of smell or diminished sense of smell, respectively) and ageusia or dysgeusia (sense of taste). Among the most common causes are the common viruses that we are all intermittently exposed to. These will generally affect the nerve in several different ways, but the most likely causes are via directly altering their function or inhibiting the ability of molecules of smell or taste to get to the appropriate receptors. Other causes of loss of smell include trauma, as the nerves important to olfaction come out through the bottom of the anterior part of the brain and are sensitive to sharp deceleration injuries and trauma. Nasal polyps or other obstructions or tumors are other causes. Speak with your doctor about this problem for a diagnosis and treatment.