Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I'm having right jugular vein and chest pains. What should I do? What's wrong?"


I got into a motorcycle accident on Saturday. Shortly after, among other injuries, I had what felt like very bad heartburn shortly after. The next day, it was still there, but now I can feel pain along my entire right jugular vein. I can move my head side to side without increased pain, but upon looking up, or up diagonally it hurts more, and I can actually tell when it's pulsating with increased pressure/pain along the jugular. It feels like this pain is connected to the chest pain I'm having. With the chest pain it hurts more when I cough, sneeze, breathe in heavily etc, more along the right side. I'm just wondering how serious this could be and what I should do about it. Hoping for a reply, thanks.


You should be seen by your doctor. While you don't comment on whether or not you went to see a doctor after your accident, it is important that you do so immediately. While heart burn can be something that all of us experience from time to time, it is not normal to have new onset heart burn after a trauma like you have had.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Surgeons near you

Many people will have this sort of symptom when they are actually having a much more serious problem, and speaking with a doctor is very important. There are serious conditions that can be life threatening, and need medical attention to be fully diagnosed and treated. With regards to your neck, the jugular vein is one of the bigger veins in your neck that returns blood from your head and neck. Next to it lies the carotid artery, which will carry blood to your head, and transmits the pulsations of your heart beat. After trauma, carotid dissections, aneurysms, and pseudoaneurysms are of concern, and your symptoms would likely require further testing to make sure that none of these are of concern. At the very least, a physical exam and further questioning are in order. Please speak with your doctor immediately.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.