ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a rash all over my legs?

Question

Why do I have a rash all over my legs?

I have a rash all over my legs. I helped my father get tumbleweeds out and load them on the truck on Saturday morning. On the next day I started itching around 2pm and later that night I had a rash all over my legs

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In order to provide an accurate answer, a doctor would need to review your entire medical record and perform a thorough physical exam, including an exam of the rash. Depending on these findings, you may need additional testing. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide a diagnosis and treatment options. The rash in question has many potential causes. Many systemic medical conditions can be associated by a rash. It is possible you are suffering from contact dermatitis, which is essentially an allergic reaction to something your skin has come into contact with. Certain metals and chemicals such as laundry detergent can cause this. You may be suffering a reaction to the tumbleweeds coming into contact with your skin. It is also possible your skin came into contact with another irritant, such as poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac. Many medications can lead to rash. You may be suffering from hives, which as caused by histamine release in the skin layers. It will not be possible to diagnose this condition without examining the rash. Therefore, I encourage you to see a dermatologist.