Is ptosis caused by contact lenses reversible?

My left eye has a droopy eyelid (ptosis) for the past 5-6 months. My doctor said it seems to be caused by my contact lenses. Recently i stopped wearing contacts for a period of one week, but no change occurred. My eyelid doesn't affect my vision, but it does bother me (look wise). If i stop wearing contacts for a longer period, or do laser eye surgery, will my eyelid go back to normal or is surgery the only option? Many thanks
Wearing contact lenses for long periods of time is thought to have a certain impact on the development of acquired ptosis, or a drooping of the upper eyelid. It would be wise to seek a neurologist who would order diagnostic tests to determine a cause or rule out a serious condition. Generally speaking, it is reversible. All or part of the ptosis may resolve with discontinuation of contact lens wear. If your ptosis doesn't resolve after you stop wearing your lenses for a long period of time, it is recommended that you consult a doctor or preferably a neurologist. Your ptosis may be caused by some other neurological abnormalities. The ptosis may be due to damage or trauma to the muscle which raises the eyelid or damage to the nerve. Such damage could be a sign or symptom of an underlying disease such as diabetes mellitus or diseases which may cause weakness in muscles or nerve damage, such as myasthenia gravis. The ptosis may be worse after being awake longer, when your muscles are tired. This particular type of ptosis can be confirmed with the help of a Tensilon challenge test and blood tests. Another cause is the oculomotor palsy that can be confirmed with imaging tests such as CTs and MRIs. The causes of ptosis are so numerous that it is impossible to give an exhaustive list of possible sources. Again, it would be wise to seek a neurologist who would order diagnostic tests to determine a cause or rule out a serious condition.

Nearby Neurologists

Other Neurologists