ZocdocAnswersWhat can be the reason for wheezing?

Question

What can be the reason for wheezing?

Last night I felt a wheezing feeling on my right lung and it was audible through my mouth as I was breathing in and out. It was not a mild wheezing and was really loud, it went away when I forced myself to cough violently a few times. There is no problem with my breathing in general. What can be the reason for this?

Answer

Thank you for your question and I recommend discussing it with your doctor. Wheezing can be caused by many different things. In general, the wheezing that doctors comment about is caused by a narrowing of the airway at one level or another. When the airway narrows, the speed of the air rushing through the narrowed part picks up, which can then cause a sound to be created. This sound can be transmitted to the outside, and is often heard best with a stethoscope, which is why your doctor will often listen to your lungs when you visit with him or her. Many things can cause this narrowing. Some examples include a foreign body, such as aspirating something like food that goes into your airway and causes a blockage. In addition to food, even mucous can obstruct the airway at some times. Either one of these could potentially improve by coughing, which could remove the obstruction. Other possible reasons for a wheeze include asthma, which is quite common, infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia, and more serious things such as tumors that are obstructing the airway. Regardless of the reason, if you have a continued wheeze or have any other symptoms, you should discuss this with your doctor. Please speak to your doctor.