ZocdocAnswersDuring sex a loud pop or crack was heard from my penis, is this a penile fracture?

Question

During sex a loud pop or crack was heard from my penis, is this a penile fracture?

No swelling or bruising, minimal pain, but lost erection shortly afterwards.

Answer

So sorry to hear about this problem. This could be a medical emergency, and you should speak with your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately to get the care that you need. As you are aware, there are cavities inside of your penis that fill with blood during an erection. The blood then becomes trapped inside the penis by the increase in pressure that blocks off the blood flow of the veins that carry the blood back to the heart. Normally, this pressure gradually abates and the blood flow returns to normal and allows the penis to become flaccid again, but there are some situations that alter the process. If trauma is too severe, the cavities that normally fill with blood can rupture or become otherwise traumatized and lead to serious medical problems potentially making it difficult to sustain an erection in the future. Speaking with your doctor immediately allows him or her to make recommendations or treatments in the appropriate manner that will allow you the best chance to heal appropriately and return to your optimal function in the future. Please speak with your doctor or a urologist in the immediate future about your concern, or go to the emergency department.