ZocdocAnswersShould I be concerned with occassional mouth sores and now a sudden nosebleed?

Question

Should I be concerned with occassional mouth sores and now a sudden nosebleed?

Healthy 45 year old, non smoker, had thyroid removed two years ago, take calcium and Synthroid daily. Got what appeared to be a virus in April this year, lasted for a GOOD 8 or 9 days. was accompanied by odd sores under the tongue and red severly swollen gums. have had three more sores since then, never having had them in my past. last week sudden nosebleed, that poured blood through right nostril. Coincidence?

Answer

Thanks for your question. Any time that you have recurrent lesions anywhere on your body, it leads to questions of what could be causing it, so it is important to speak with your doctor. One of the first things that comes to mind is the potential for some sort of recurrent trauma that is making this happen. Sometimes this can be something simple. Another leading thought is some sort of infection, as things like viruses can often go through stages of being active and then being dormant. One example of this is the virus that causes chicken pox, which can come back later to cause the symptoms of shingles after lying dormant often for decades. Other thoughts include autoimmune disorders that can affect the mouth as well as other areas of the body, and other conditions. Your symptoms can sometimes provide clues, and that is what you are asking about: is your nosebleed linked to your sores? Decreased clotting, such as with decreased platelet activity or function, can often result in this sort of problem. For that reason, you should discuss this concern with your doctor to determine if there is a link that could be important to be diagnosed and treated. Please speak with your doctor about this question.