ZocdocAnswersDoes fluoxetine decrease the chance of impregnating my wife?

Question

Does fluoxetine decrease the chance of impregnating my wife?

I am taking fluoxetine and have been for 2 months.

Answer

Thank you for question regarding fluoxetine and its side effects. Fluoxetine is a medication in the class of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs are known to have many side effects including increasing the risk of suicide in patients and also causing sexual dysfunction such as decreasing libido, erectile dysfunction, and increased ejaculation latency time (the time it takes for a man to ejaculate). These side effects could certainly interfere with a couple's attempts to get pregnant. Therefore, it is important that you speak with your doctor if you begin experiencing any signs of sexual dysfunction while taking fluoxetine. He or she would be able to work with you to best address both your mental and sexual health. Some options for those who may be experiencing sexual dysfunction on a SSRI could include: decreasing the dose of SSRI, switching to another SSRI, switching to a non- SSRI type of antidepressant, using another drug to counteract the symptoms of sexual dysfunction, or taking time off of the SSRI. These are options to discuss with your doctor who can evaluate if any of these steps are necessary, given how well fluoxetine works for you and how severe your symptoms may be.