Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do I have an UTI or something else?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have an UTI or something else?


I have been having UTI like symptoms around the time I ovulate for about 4 menstrual cycles now. The symptoms include intense bladder pressure and frequency and last about a week each time and then go away. I have tested negative for an infection. I do have a history of ovarian cysts and endometriosis and wonder if they could be related or if I should be aware of something else that could cause this. My OBGYN has scheduled me for an ultrasound, but I want to make sure I am asking the right questions if nothing shows up.


I wonder if your symptoms are related to your endometriosis and I recommend that you discuss this with your OB/GYN. Certainly symptoms of UTI such as burning with urination are not typical for patients with endometriosis. However, it seems that if your symptoms are worse during your menstrual cycle, it would fit that this would have something to do with your endometriosis. It is possible that you have some endometriosis implants that have worked their way around the bladder and during your menstrual cycle they become activated causing urinary like symptoms. I think that the current plan of you undergoing an ultrasound is a good first step. Your doctor might consider escalating your treatment for endometriosis to see if this helps your urinary symptoms. For starters, your doctor should make sure that you are taking some form of oral hormonal birth control. For this problem, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. If the ultrasound does not show anything, and your doctor might suggest medications or he or she might suggest a surgical procedure. Some patients with endometriosis require an endoscopic procedure to ablate or kill off endometrial implants that are causing problems. I hope this is not what you have to go through, and in some cases it needs to be done. Good luck.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.