ZocdocAnswersLow blood pressure, jaundice, water retention in legs, and kidney failure. What's wrong?

Question

Low blood pressure, jaundice, water retention in legs, and kidney failure. What's wrong?

My grandma is 81 years old, she had complaints about a pain in her calf on her left leg, they did a scan and it wasn't a blood clot and now doctors can't figure what is wrong with her leg, as well as that she has water retention in her legs and around her lung and chest area and has a very low blood pressure currently 70/80 I believe that's what the doctors said and they also said that her kidneys are a bit worse than it was yesterday, they give her antibiotics and it raises her blood pressure but when they stop the treatment it goes back down, they are still trying to figure out what's wrong with her, blood test said she has jaundice but doesn't have the yellow in her eyes.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your grandmother's illness. Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without more information. In order to provide a diagnosis, a doctor would need to review her entire medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, the doctor would need to review all of her medical studies and procedures. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide an accurate diagnosis. Jaundice can be caused by liver disease, particularly cirrhosis. If the liver is cirrhotic, fluid can back up into the abdomen and legs, thus causing swelling. An ultrasound of the liver can often detect cirrhosis. Congestive heart failure can also cause fluid to build up in the lungs and abdomen. An ultrasound of the heart can help determine if it is functioning normally. Low blood pressure has many potential causes. Both cirrhosis and congestive heart failure can cause low blood pressure. A severe infection can cause low blood pressure. All three of these conditions can also cause kidney dysfunction. A primary kidney issue can itself cause fluid retention. Overall, this is a complex situation with many different dysfunctional organ systems. I encourage you to discuss this with a general medicine practitioner.