ZocdocAnswersI keep getting those little white bumps under my eyes called milia. What can I do about it?

Question

I keep getting those little white bumps under my eyes called milia. What can I do about it?

I keep getting those little white bumps under my eyes called milia and my doctor keeps telling me to use oil free make up, face cleaner, moisturizer, etc. the problem is everything I use is oil free but I still get them. What can I do? Any advice? They are so gross I just got my second one removed today and I don't want to worry about this anymore. Please help!!

Answer

Thanks for your question. Milia are quite common and can be corrected quite quickly with a simple procedure in the office. Most frequently, dermatologists are the doctors that help people to treat these. Usually, the procedure is essentially pain free and requires scraping the top off and then expressing anything that may be inside of them. There are youtube videos available about how this is done, if you are interested (as there are with most things!). While dermatologists are usually best qualified to treat this sort of problem and can also provide information about how to avoid them best, your primary care doctor and even your esthetician can potentially provide some help with this problem. Certainly, avoiding certain products that have a high oil content and helping to keep your skin as clean as possible will help to avoid more problems with this in the future. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and see whether or not you may need a referral to a specialist if you are continuing to suffer from this problem despite making some efforts to treat them already.