ZocdocAnswersIf I can still move my finger, is it broken?

Question

If I can still move my finger, is it broken?

My movement of it is limited. It is twice the size of the other finger on the other hand. And it hurts. And kills when I apply pressure to my second knuckle

Answer

This is a good question and one that would best be answered by your primary care doctor or other medical professional. In general, there are several causes for the painful finger that you are describing, but since there is very limited information available, it is best that you are evaluated by a primary care doctor who will be able to examine your finger and order further tests if he or she sees fit. Things to discuss with your doctor when you see him or her are whether you had some trauma to your finger, whether is has felt warm or tender, whether you have had any other associated symptoms during the same time frame, whether you have felt any underlying fluid collection. These questions will help your doctor find out the cause of this pain. If you had a trauma prior to this, then it is possible that there is a fracture, and if that is the case, you may need a splint for that finger to allow it to heal. To find out if there is a fracture, they may choose to get an x-ray to evaluate your finger.