ZocdocAnswersThe doctor I went to cannot prescribe Xanax. I only have 10 days of medication left, what should I do?

Question

The doctor I went to cannot prescribe Xanax. I only have 10 days of medication left, what should I do?

Moved, no medical. Dr I went to cannot perscribe Xanax which I have taken successfully. He was able to write other meds but not that. Said I don't know what you can do. 10 days left of meds

Answer

This is a common and often frustrating problem that patients have when they switch doctors. This can especially be true for certain medications such as Xanax that some doctors are uncomfortable prescribing. I recommend that you schedule another appointment with your doctor to discuss these issues again. I personally do not prescribe Xanax because of the many problems that come along with this medication. In my opinion, there are better options for anti-anxiety medications. For starters, your doctor should consider treating you with a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor or SSRI for short. These medications are the best at preventing anxiety and anxiety attacks. Some patients also need a benzodiazepine such as Xanax in addition to their SSRI. In these cases, I usually prescribed a longer acting medications such as lorazepam also known as Ativan. I tell my patients to use this medication only when needed and less than once a day if possible. Again, I would suggest that you schedule another appointment with your doctor so you can discuss these issues further. It is important to develop a plan to treat your anxiety in the best way possible. Perhaps he or she has another medication that they are more comfortable with other than Xanax that can help you with your problem. Otherwise, you may need to switch doctors to find one that is comfortable prescribing the medication.