ZocdocAnswersAfter having sex I felt an extreme pain in my lower abdomen and down by my vagina and bottom. What might be wrong?

Question

After having sex I felt an extreme pain in my lower abdomen and down by my vagina and bottom. What might be wrong?

I had sex with my boyfriend and we were interrupted and had to stop. A few minutes after that, I was walking around and got an extreme pain in my lower abdomen and down by my vagina and bottom. This pain lasted about half an hour, and I had to lay down to get the most comfort possible. I couldn't sit down like normal. Also, inside my vagina by my cervix, were two large, swollen, and hard balls.

Answer

Painful sex is known as dyspareunia, and I recommend that you speak with an OB/GYN. In your case, is not clear to me if you're actually having pain during sex or if it only occurred after you were done. In either case, some of the causes are the same. I would say that probably one of the more common causes of painful sex is endometriosis. Endometriosis is a condition where the inner lining of the uterus works its way outside of the uterus. It can cause parts of your pelvic anatomy to stick together and can cause pain especially near the time of your period. Many women experience very painful cycles and also experience painful sex. Endometriosis can also cause difficulty achieving pregnancy. This is a difficult diagnosis to make, but can be suggested by a ultrasound or by history to an experienced OB/GYN. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN right away. You can discuss this episode with him or her in more detail and also discuss whether or not any further testing is going to be needed. In any event, you definitely need to have a pelvic exam to look for causes of your pain and also to look for causes of these two balls you found inside your vagina. Good luck.