ZocdocAnswersWhy does my arm feel weak down to my hand and neck, and it hurts?

Question

Why does my arm feel weak down to my hand and neck, and it hurts?

Its tingling feelingin it and pain

Answer

You have pain and weakness in your arm that radiates down to your hand. You also have neck pain. These symptoms are not normal. It could be a number of things. It is difficult to determine since I do not know your medical history, so I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor. People with heart attacks could have pain in the chest, left arm, and left jaw. The pain is usually a dull pain and can be associated with nausea, vomiting, and shortness of breath. The other potential cause could be a pinched nerve or a herniated disc in the neck. These can cause one sided arm pain associated with numbness and tingling as well. The other important condition to rule out is a stroke. A stroke is a blockage in the blood vessels in the brain. It can cause weakness in a body part or even numbness. These can be emergencies so if you notice that the weakness has not gotten better and you are at risk for a stroke, such as people with diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol, then you should go to your local emergency room. Either way, you will need to make an appointment with primary care doctor to have your symptoms evaluated as soon as possible.