Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What are the red bumps around the base of my penis?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are the red bumps around the base of my penis?


Im a 21 year old male. A coupld months ago i found a few red pimple like bumps around the base of my penis. I shaved before i saw them and was at the time having unprtected sex with 1 grils off and on. They do not hurt and do not itch at all. I popped one and it bled a little bit. Im not sure if it could be ingrown hairs from when i shaved because they havent gone away. I just want to find out what it is and how i can help it


Red pimple-like bumps in the pubic hair region is a common condition that many people see their primary care doctors about. In order to properly diagnose and treat the underlying cause of your condition, it is important that you schedule an appointment with your doctor so that he or she can actually see the rash, which will be very helpful in making the proper diagnosis. Having said that, there are a few more likely conditions that could be causing your rash. For one, as you mentioned, these very well could be ingrown hairs. The bumps caused by ingrown hairs do look a lot like pimples, but when you try to pop them, no pus is expelled and they only bleed (as yours did). Also, this is a very common place to have ingrown hairs, making this the most likely cause of your bumps. Again as you mentioned, these could be pimples. Because this is an area that perspires frequently, it is also a common place to develop pimples. However, two very unlikely but possible other conditions that you would need to have treated include scabies and herpes. Scabies is a mite infection that is often intensely itchy and can spread to other parts of your body once you scratch them. They can appear pimple-like and are often red. Given that these bumps are not itching you, this is unlikely. Herpes, or HSV-2 (herpes simplex virus type 2) is often associated with a burning sensation and usually appears as clusters of red pustules that are grouped together. Again, this does not sound like what you have. However, as mentioned above, it is very difficult to correctly diagnose any rash without seeing it, and I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor for a formal evaluation.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.