Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Do I have IBS or rumbling appendicitis?"

ZocdocAnswersDo I have IBS or rumbling appendicitis?


i have ibs and the general symptoms of gas dioreah and constipation but i also have this horrid pain in my lower right abdomen that sometimes moves up to my higher right side? some days its worst than others to the stage i can barley walk im not sick but always feel very nauses and have lost my appetite a couple of times? i had a doctors appointment yesterday and they said i have a urine infection but i could have something wrong with my appendix? there sending me of for a scan but i just want a second oppinion so i can seek medical advice asap so could you help me please?


I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician soon. Appendicitis can be a difficult thing to diagnose. In general, we think of appendicitis when patients present with right lower quadrant abdominal pain, fever, and decreased appetite. The symptoms usually come on suddenly, and are usually different than those that occurred due to irritable bowel syndrome. For one, symptoms due to irritable bowel syndrome almost never include fever. In addition, most patients with irritable bowel syndrome have a very minimal abdominal tenderness whereas people with appendicitis tend to have significant right lower quadrant tenderness. Diarrhea is also not a symptom of appendicitis typically. Appendicitis is diagnosed usually with a clinical exam and then a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with contrast. If the CT scan shows appendicitis, then the patient is usually taken to the operating room for an appendectomy. If nothing is found on the CT, but the clinical suspicion of appendicitis is high, some surgeons will take their patients to the operating room anyway. Another complicating feature of your case is that you have a urinary tract infection. A urinary tract infection certainly could cause right lower quadrant pain. While the pain typically occurs first in the pelvis, it can travel up to the right or left side into the flank if the infection travels towards the kidneys. Your case sounds complicated. For that reason I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician soon. You need to have this situation evaluated.

Need more info?

See a surgeon today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.