ZocdocAnswersI have been coughing for the last 20 days - what does my x-ray mean?

Question

I have been coughing for the last 20 days - what does my x-ray mean?

i am caughing from last 20 days and in xray report i found this result bilateral alveolar interstitial opacities in the left upper lobe predominant, sometimes excavated.

Answer

Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your prolonged symptoms. Unfortunately, sometimes a cough can last for a long time, sometimes even months after the cause of the cough has been treated. So it is important to speak with your doctor. Your x-ray suggests that you have opacification, or something that is blocking the x-rays from passing through your body, especially in the left upper lobe. This opacification will generally come from things that are more resistant to radiation passing through them, such as water or thickened tissue. Infection is therefore one of the prime causes of opacification, although there are other causes as well. The alveoli are the air cells that fill and allow for the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide that is necessary for you to breathe and survive. The fact that the problem seems isolated to the left upper lobe suggests that there is something specifically affecting that part of you, and it will be important to work with your doctor to make sure that you heal appropriately. He or she may want to treat you based on this x-ray and your past history, and this treatment may help your cough to resolve, although that can take some time. Again, please speak with your doctor.